Turtlellini

This blog is no longer. I've left it for Myspace.

11/15/2005

Froggy Went A-Courtin'!! (I heart Uncle Pecos)

Does anyone remember good old Uncle Pecos from Tom n Jerry? Little Jerry’s stuttering uncle from Texas with the big ol’ 10 gallon (.05 liter) cowboy hat and the long white mustache that swayed up and out with the wind of his breath?


If you do--do you remember this song? I must’ve listened to it about 75 times yesterday. Cracks me up every time.

Good ol' Uncle Pecos....every time he'd start playing his "ghee-tar", a string would break and he'd go after Tom cat for one of his whiskers. He wasn't afraid of Tom the way Jerry was--and therefore Tom was afraid of him! "Heeeere kitty kitty kitty! Ya know I cain't play the ghee-tar without a ghee-tar strang!"

Anyway, I found that song yesterday because my sister called me up wanting to know the lyrics to this song were. She was going to write them out in some card or something, but thought better of it since it was unlikely that the reader would know what she was talking about.

She knew that I would, though—because she grew up listening to me sing that song. I had always sung this song, but of course butchered the lyrics much the same way that Uncle Pecos does in his version.

Incase you’re wondering—(and I know you are)—the lyrics to this song are right here.

I think he was actually mixing two songs together, since who the hell knows where “Crambo” came from. Not to mention the fact that he skips half the song, mumbles, replaces words with ones that he can actually say and explains, "That's the hard part right in there N-N-N-n-Nephew!" and that "yodeling goes in thar somewhar", but it's too high for him.

I think the memory that sticks out in my sister’s head the most is when one year we were all sitting around my mother’s formal dining room table having Thanksgiving dinner, or some kind of special occasion and I was sitting to my mother’s left. My sister was sitting directly across from me.

I shoveled a few big mouthfuls of turkey and potatoes in my mouth and looked at my mother. The very second that she turned her head towards me, I busted out with, “WEEEEEEELLLLLLLL! Froggy went a-courtin’ he did ride, CRAMBO!”, with a mouth full of food. Some of it sprayed out at her, and in that split second she reached over and smacked me upside the head. All of this occurred w/in the time span of about a second.

I thought my sister was going to CHOKE TO DEATH laughing. I thought it was pretty funny too, which is why the slap really didn’t hurt. My mother didn’t hit me hard anyway—just enough to let me know she didn’t appreciate A.) My singing a hillbilly song quite loudly in her face; B.) My doing it with a mouth full of food and C.) Some of said food flying out of my mouth in her direction as a result.

I told my husband this story yesterday and he was surprised that my mother would slap me for that. I told him that it wasn’t a big deal because we were all laughing about it anyway. Getting slapped in our family was sometimes an expression of love. Perhaps that’s why we were so entertained by watching our like minded kin in the form of a cartoon mouse on television.

He then replied that he would have paid good money to see that whole scene go down. He asked why I would just bust out with that song out of nowhere and I didn't have an answer for him. So he said, “Well, you were probably a very hyper active kid.”

To which I replied, “Um….yeah, but I was 28 at the time.”

19 Comments:

  • At 8:46 PM, Blogger ducklet said…

    oh, i remember that cartoon. and, er, getting knocked around the dinner table. i prefer to think about that cartoon.

     
  • At 9:23 PM, Blogger Scottish Toodler said…

    Hey sorry about my boobs, I was trying to listen at work, fucking work, interfereing with my listeneing to a classic!!! YOU ROCK TURTLE!!!

     
  • At 12:09 PM, Blogger lily b said…

    That was hi-fucking-larious! I'm well-known for busting out in song and dance at random, and sometimes inappropriate moments, but I don't think I've ever been slapped for it. Of course, I've never sprayed food at my mom either.

     
  • At 9:10 PM, Blogger Kassi said…

    Oh my gosh! I so remember that song...

    thanks for bringing back the memory!

     
  • At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Shawna said…

    Thanks for the memories! I love it when things like this come out of the dark, things that were lost forever in my memory. CRAMBO! Classic! I would totally buy a DVD of old Tom & Jerry's and Loony Toons cartoons! And remember Mammy, the black maid lady that was always chasing Tom with a broom, pantyhose around her ankles? And remember the neglectful babysitter, the Barbie-looking girl who would talk on the phone while the baby would crawl away and Tom had to save him? Awesome! Do kids nowadays have quality programs like this???

     
  • At 7:04 PM, Anonymous katie-kate-kate said…

    Kate here-
    I actually didn't recall the dinner w/mom but after reading your blog it all came back!!
    I couldn't resist cracking up my damn self at the memory!

     
  • At 6:56 AM, Blogger Denise said…

  • At 8:03 AM, Blogger SkyeBlue2U said…

    Hi!

     
  • At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love Uncle Pecos at our house too! Anyone know where to get Uncle Pecos t-shirts??? I am looking for one for x-mas for hubby and daughter. Any ideas?
    mmap9@yahoo.com

     
  • At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Nan From Boston said…

    OMG! HAHAHA that is my favorite! I am 30 something as well and I remember that episode as a kid. I seriously pee'd my pants laughing! what a great website you have! Thanks for the laugh!!

     
  • At 8:43 AM, Blogger doctorluke said…

    LOL!!!! You rock the MOST! Would you believe I spontaneously burst out into this same song today while I was driving home from getting groceries? I searched the entire web looking for this song. The mark of a thirtysomething, huh? What other random crap do we have etched in our brains?

     
  • At 10:29 AM, Blogger Bill said…

    I remember this song very well. In fact, a new Bruce Springsteen album came out and the actual "Froggie went a Courtin" is the last track on the CD.

    As soon as I heard it I remembered Uncle Pecos pulling out Tom's whiskers. What a great episode that is.

     
  • At 8:43 PM, Blogger ratablanca5 said…

    Well, as you said, each time that i listen Uncle Pecos, i can't stop laughing and crying..its way out of the league. But I want to know the lyrics of what is he singin, 'cause is not really A Frog Went A-Courtin, it's a mix with something from his mostaches

     
  • At 10:54 AM, Blogger Kat said…

    I was just watching "Pecos Pest" the other day! Oh my Lord, Uncle Pecos is the funniest frickin' character in cartoon history! I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants.

    It's funny, my sister and I used to watch Tom & Jerry when were kids too, and for some reason, Uncle Pecos always stood out in our minds.

    So, yesterday, I bought the Tom & Jerry collection just so I could relive my youth and watch "Pecos Pest." It was funnier now then when I was a kid. All I can say is...HIS BLUE BOOTS!! Too funny!

    Nice to see I am not alone in this. Crembo!

     
  • At 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am so glad I found you web site. We was out with some friends and we was talking about this actual episode of Tom and Jerry....the guys had never seen or heard the song...the girls all had!! Now I can send them all this link and we can all have a little stroll down memory lane!! I loved Tom and Jerry as a kid...still do. I might have to go buy the collection so my grandchildren can enjoy them as well. Now those were GOOD cartoons!!!

     
  • At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey crew... Uncle Pecos shirts available here - http://www.zazzle.com/product/235074030582948220

     
  • At 5:29 PM, Anonymous CarFitSki said…

    This episode was just Boomerang. I rushed to call my sis & bro. We love it. I'm 42, my siblings 36 & 48. We've vowed to play it @ our respective funerals...as cherished memories on our childhoods together.

     
  • At 3:58 PM, Blogger Kevin said…

    i sing this to my son and he gets the biggest kick out of it. thanks for bringin' it back. CRAMBO ! !

     
  • At 12:15 PM, Anonymous Chris Jolin said…

    I'm 52 and LOVE Uncle Pecos. When we were kids, my Dad got up every Saturday morning with the reel-to-reel recorder hoping to catch that cartoon for a couple of weeks, and it never came back on. He gave up, but thanks to the Internet, I was able to find him a copy. I frequently break out with this tune and hardly anyone knows what I'm doing. Their loss!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home